Image Map

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Double-Duty-Linking This Week and Blueberries Galore!


I need to vent for a minute- it’s not really venting, but I’m kinda nervous and need some fellow teacher support/guidance! As most of you know, I was hired as a fourth grade teacher when I graduated and I was SUPER stoked! I remember going to the school for my tour with my principal and he walked us through the building where the magnet program is. All I could think was how amazing it would be to teach these students, I LOVE a challenge and I feel like these students need constant challenge. Well, low-and-behold my principal called me last week and offered me a NEW position to teach the third grade magnet class! OH MY GOODNESS! I was blown away! I am so incredibly excited, but I feel like I need some serious guidance and support! If any of my followers can leave some supportive words, links to fellow magnet/gifted teachers, etc.- I would be SO grateful! :-) Ok, on to the real blog post! :) It's a good one folks!


I decided it would be fun to link this post to TWO links parties today, is that cheating? I'm not sure, but this recipe is too delicious not to share EVERYWHERE! :) I'm linking up with Holly over at the Fourth Grade Flipper for her Tuesday Tried It linky and also with Christy over at Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road for her fun Eating, Drinking, and Linking link party! What a neat idea! 

I see a pattern forming with this Tried It Tuesday linky party! It seems as though baking might be a Tuesday adventure :-) The bread last week was PHENOMENAL if you were wondering! Perfectly wheat-y (is that a word?) but not overbearing, yum! Today’s adventure pulls me head first into the deliciousness of summer. It also draws me back to my childhood. When I was young, the one baby food my mom could ALWAYS count on me eating was Blueberry Buckle. Even when I was older, we would find it in the store and scoop it up as a fun treat! Am I the only one that did this? I hope not…

Anywho- the tang of the blueberries and sweetness of the cake flavor just get me every time. So, with that being said my mom had 2 large containers of blueberries in her fridge that we needed to find something to do with. Cue this beautiful and glorious Blueberry Buckle recipe from Laura over at Laura’s Sweet Spot. (Please click on over to her website to get the full recipe with directions and measurements- you won’t be disappointed and her other recipes are ROCKIN! I'm thinking THESE should be next on the list!) :-)

It is truly divine! The mix of fresh blueberries and tanginess of the lemon zest in this recipe make for a wonderful and bright-flavored cake. It is dense and perfectly sweet, so you certainly don’t need much to satisfy your sweet tooth! We served it with a scoop of no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream. Yum! Here’s how I whipped it up!

Make the streusel first in your stand mixer and then place in a separate bowl.



Mix up your dry ingredients and put in another bowl for adding later (you could also just put it all in a bowl and whisk it, but I <3 my KitchenAid and felt the need to do everything in there)


Then, you will work the wet ingredients together and then slowly add the dry ingredients…. and try to refrain from licking the bowl :-)





GENTLY fold in the blueberries, you have to be careful or your batter will turn a nice shade of purplish-blue… I mean, if you want purplish-blue batter by all means, fold aggressively!! ;-)


Transfer your batter to a greased 9-inch round cake pan and smooth it out evenly. Crumble the streusel topping over it and I pressed mine down just a tad!


Finally, bake your delicious looking blueberry buckle at 350°F for about 55 minutes or until nice and golden brown on top and done in the middle. To check if it's done, insert a toothpick in the middle and make sure it doesn’t come out with gooey cake mix on it!







ENJOY! YUM!! This was certainly worth the wait! Thanks for hangin’ out y’all! I hope you will try this AMAZING summer recipe!



post signature

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You are going to LOVE working with gifted students. I have been teaching Gifted in the upper grades for several years now. I love it.
    Here's another great blog to follow.
    http://teachingisagift.blogspot.com/
    Here is my best friend's class website. She will be teaching 3rd grade gifted this year.
    http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/ahull1/

    Does your county offer the Gifted Endorsement courses? If so, I would really try to take some. It will give you a better understanding of what you are doing with those kids.

    Here's info from the state: http://www.fldoe.org/bii/Gifted_Ed/

    And you can look on Cpalms for Gifted standards: www.cpalms.org

    That might give you a little bit of insight! Let me know if you need anything else.

    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm VERY excited to teach gifted! Thank you for the awesome blog links! I will definitely look into them and follow along :)

      I will be taking the Gifted Endorsement classes starting in the fall. I'm hoping it will help me understand what I need to do to really challenge and develop these students to their greatest potential! I have some ideas already ;)

      Thank you for the CPALMS link! I forgot that there are gifted standards! DUH! I'm glad you reminded me!

      I truly appreciate all of your help! It means the world to me and I am definitely going to need it! I plan on looking into all of your recommendations :)

      You do really ROCK! :)
      -Lindsay

      Delete
  2. Your job opportunity sounds amazing!! I don't know much about the Magnet program but it sound outstanding! I always said that I would love the teach gifted and talented but they have sadly taken all of those programs away in favor of more programs for struggling learners. Gifted learners are also special education and need attention too!
    The blueberry dessert looks amazing and I am pinning it for future reference! Yummy!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Holly!
      I am very excited for the opportunity :) It makes me sad that they took those programs away! I hope that changes one day soon... As for the blueberry dessert, it is SCRUMPTIOUS! :) You will love it! I hope that you try it soon :)

      Thanks for your sweet comments,
      Lindsay

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new position! Although gifted is included in KS special education, we had a gifted teacher specifically for those students while I worked with students with mostly LD, sorry I can't be more of help! Never be afraid to ask questions, veteran teachers have a wealth of knowledge to share!

    Thank you for linking up! This recipe looks so tasty! I am jealous of your kitchen aid... someday!

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy!
      I appreciate your encouraging words! I will definitely be the outspoken newbie with all the questions I'm sure! :) Hopefully I don't drive them too crazy!
      ~Lindsay

      Delete